When I was little, one of the first things I learned to make in the kitchen with my mum was Zucchini Slice. I’ve made it many times, and it has evolved into many different versions of slice. It’s the meal I make when I’m running out of ingredients in the fridge – I always seem to have eggs, onion and corn in my kitchen in some shape or form! The rest of the slice is dependent on what else is left in the bottom of the fridge. It’s so quick and easy, and I will honestly eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This recipe was brought to life by the sweet potato and fresh rosemary. The combination was so sweet!
So before you make this recipe, go out and find some FRESH rosemary. Buy a plant, go to Bunnings, befriend someone with a herb garden, visit your mum! There really is nothing better than FRESH herbs in your food – so get onto it! I promise, it will make all the difference.
This recipe has been made with gluten & lactose free ingredients to suit our household needs, with the addition of feta cheese. This can be replaced with lactose-free cheese if desired – or just remove the cheese completely! Enjoy!
Want something on the side? Try it with my sweet potato, feta and nut salad!
Gluten Free Sweet Potato & Rosemary Slice
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 45 minutes
1 sweet potato
Olive oil spray
Sprinkle of sea salt
1 brown onion, diced
2 corn on the cob or a tin of corn
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup lactose free milk
1 cup gluten free self-raising flour
1 sprig of rosemary
1 sprig thyme
200g feta cheese
2 tbs parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220° Celsius. Cover a baking tray with baking paper, as well as a pie dish.
2. Peel and cube sweet potato (1 – 1.5 cm cubes), place onto baking tray, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place into over and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Cut the corn off the cobs and place into a large bowl*. Remove the thyme and rosemary leaves off the main stalk. Chop lightly. Combine the corn, diced onion, thyme, rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
4. Wisk eggs lightly in a small bowl and add milk and coconut oil. Pour mixture into the corn mixture.
5. Fold the flour into the corn mixture, ensuring it is completely mixed in.
6. Take the sweet potato out of the oven and stir into the mixture.
7. Pour the mixture into the pre-prepared pie dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and crumble the feta cheese on top.
8. Place pie dish into oven on 200° Celsius for 45 minutes. It will be ready when the top is golden, and when a skewer comes out clean.
9. Can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
* The easiest way to cut the corn off the cob is to place a small bowl upside down inside a large bowl. Place corn on top of the small bowl, and slice down the cob. The cob will fall straight into the larger bowl.
Leave a Reply